Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Darwinian Impossibility of King Kong


I'm not too much of a fan of King Kong, not the old, old version, or the eighties remake starring Jessica Lange - who a buddy's uncle in Minnesota dated once - and I don't think I will be one of the Peter Jackson version that's set to hit the theaters soon. Don't get me wrong. It looks fantastic and clearly Jackson's vision is realized in this version. From what I understand Jackson has been a Kong-o-phile since he was a little kid, so this thing is his life's dream come true.

Don't tell him, but I never got into it much. I didn't care any of the characters like the girl or the scientists or anybody else in the story and especially not King Kong. Sorry. Maybe Jackson's version will be different, but I don't think I'll give it a shot.

Here's why King Kong would be an impossible creature. It's called the island rule and it's something biologists have known ever since Darwin. On islands the resources for the creatures living on it are limited, so two thing happen. First: The big creatures become small, because food is limited, and Second: The small creatures become bigger because they have to compete for that limited food. On some islands scientists have found the remains of both giant mice and miniature elephants. It's true.

King Kong is discovered on Skull Island which is over-run not only with King Kong but with other giant prehistoric creatures. It couldn't happen. What on Earth are all of these giant animals eating? They would literally eat themselves out of house and home within a generation. I believe that superstitious villagers on skull island set out virgins on stakes for Kong to eat, but how many of those can there really be? Not enough to feed a monstrous gorilla, that's for sure. I don't think you could find enough virgins in the whole continental US for that.


No comments: