Monday, November 14, 2005

No Evolution for Deer


A school board in Pennsylvania was thrown out by their voters in a recall election for coming up with the rule that science teachers would have to take one minute to tell students in their classes that there was such a thing as a theory of intelligent design. Likewise Kansas has been wrestling with the Darwin V. Intelligent design theories. My question is, sure you can make all of your science teachers teach intelligent design - they want to keep their jobs, after all - but can you make them keep a straight face while they're teaching it?

As I was driving home tonight, beeping my horn frantically while a stupid deer stood in the middle of the road staringat me, I pondered evolution. 'Why,' I asked myself, slamming onthe breaks, 'Hasn't evolution worked here, evolving this speciesenough common sense to stay away from cars?' It's a good question. There have been automobiles now for over a century, and in my book that's plenty of time for so-called evolutionto do it's job. Unless, of course, the theory of evolution is total bunk in the first place. Well, maybe I won't go that far. But there are clearproblems with Darwinian evolution and I don't think that reasonablepeople should too quickly dismiss intelligent design.Wait, wait, wait. Don't get ahead of me. I'm not saying therefore: Jehovah,seven days, Adam and Eve, Noah and the flood, etc. Far from it. Butthe alternative to intelligent design is fantastic coincidence; the 'fact'that the universe is just randomly situated to allow for what we call life.It's as if scientists are saying that the universe is a sort of giant jigsawpuzzle that for no particular reason matches up into a beautiful picture and more than that, this jig-saw puzzle also just happens to have assembleditself just by pure chance, too. Pretty incredible, right?There is a theory called the anthropic principal that somewhat explains this.In the anthropic principal there is not just one universe but many universesor a multiverse. (Strictly speaking you can't have more than one UNIverse).These universes all have different laws of nature and only the one weare in right now had the exact right combination that would allow forintelligent self-aware beings like ourselves who can ask ourselves thesequestions. My problem with this, Mr. Smarty-pants Scientist, is where areall these other supposed universes? I don't see any extra universes layingaround anywhere. And I've looked real hard.Alright, I actually know the answer to this one, too. All of these extrauniverses are in other dimensions that are supposed to be curled up real small and you can't see any of them because they are so small. But why would there even be extra small dimensions in the first place. Where did they come from? Would one of you scientists answer that for me?

No comments: