Saturday, December 03, 2005

The Best Defense


When I was driving home a few minutes ago I saw a guy in another car who looked like Saddam Hussein and then I looked twice. Because, of course, it's entirely plausible that he would be standing trial in Iraq one day and the next one be driving around free in a small town in Wisconsin.

Anyways, I just checked out CNN and there was no word that he had escaped from American custody or anything. So, maybe I was wrong.

I've got to say that he really looks much better since he trimmed down and grew that beard. I feel guilty about thinking that, but the US military really did a nice make-over on him. He looks good. The pentagon must have had the Queer Eye guys fly out in secret.

I notice that former attorney general Ramsey Clark is now sitting on Saddam's defense team. He was the attorney general for - I believe - Johnson back in the sixties. The guy is really, really ancient. These days he's been taking on the cause of horrible mosters like Hussein. He had previously defended Slobadan Miloscovic who commited genocide in Serbia. You know, everybody deserves the best defense thay can have, though I got to wonder if Ramsey Clark is the best one out there. He didn't get old Slobby off, after all.

And he won't get Saddam off, either; that's just a given. If I were Ramsey and I were defending Saddam I would definitely try and go for a plea bargain - not to spare Saddam the death penalty since boy, oh boy, that's never going to happen. Instead I would try and negotiate how they're going to execute him. It's not much, but it's about the best he could ever do.

No comments: