Friday, February 17, 2006

Now THIS is Winter!


Finally it's below zero here in Wisconsin with actual snow on the ground. I'd forgotten what it felt like to stand outside and feel the warmth and life leaving your body as the bitter wind numbed your exposed flesh. I was beginning to think that Global warming is real, but thank God for today because there's no way it can be true when it can still get like this outside.

Actually, it is kind of nice to have some real cold up here for a change and I was only being slightly sarcastic - for a change.

And I do think global warming is a real thing. I just saw some pictures of the North Pole compared to about twenty years ago, and yep, it's visibly smaller than it was. I've been wondering if the reason the midwest is getting such relatively mild weather in the Winter while the East Coast gets socked with blizzards isn't another side effect of that same global warming.

I really wish the East Coast media would stop getting hysterical everytime a snowflake is seen over New York City. You'd think their snow is ten times more horrible than our snow is here. Well, maybe it is, because it's falling on them. Do you remember 'the blizzard of the century'? That was last century, but I just could not help thinking to myself that these people really have got to get over themselves. Because we get snow like that all the time and the blizzard of the century was not the worst blizzard that happened in the 1900's in this country.

So you got some snow? How is that news? What you really should report is that people in the Midwest get snow and they don't go running around telling everybody about it. Somehow they don't complain at all. They just shovel it and get on with their lives.


That should make the news.

Here's another example: The perfect storm. Some New England fishermen got lost in a bad storm and a movie got made about it. That perfect storm happened on Halloween 1991 which happened to be the largest snowfall in Minnesota (where I was living at the time) . Do you remember the movie Hollywood made about it?

Of course not. They didn't make one. It didn't happen on one of the coasts, so who cares?

Okay, I don't expect the East Coast media to quit whining everytime it snows over there. I'm a reasonable guy. But maybe they could stop whining as much.

No comments: