Friday, April 07, 2006

Ed Gein and Fat Kids in Wisconsin


Two Wisconsin news stories were on my radio this morning when I was driving to work.
  1. Wisconsin now has the drunkest kids in the nation, and:
  2. Ed Gein's former farm house was sold.

In a moment I'm going to magically connect these two things together. But first I'm going to digress.

Wisconsin probably does not have the most serial killer's per capita. I'm going to make a wild guess and say that California is the state that really does. I don't know this for a fact. But I'm probably right. Wisconsin, however, does have two of the most memorable ones, because in addition to Ed Gein, we also have famed cannibal killer Jeffrey Dahmer. Just ask anybody to name two serial killers and I'll bet those are the two names that come up.

Wisconsin did have the highest rate of drinking by adults in the nation, but this thing about us also having the highest rate of drinking among kids is new. I knew we had the fattest kids (and adults, of course). Well, the thing is, since the United States is the fattest country in the world and Wisconsin the fattest in the Us that must mean that we have the fattest, drunkest kids in the world, too. It just stands to reason, doesn't it?

So, what do Ed Gein and fat, drunk kids have in common?

Well, I'll tell you.

A substance abuse counselor has told me that the number one reason he hears for kids drinking in Wisconsin is ... boredom. Aha! And doesn't that explain why they overeat, also? Right! They're bored. They've got nothing better to do with their time than stuff their faces and drown themselves in tasty Milwaukee brewed beer.

Then when they get really bored, they kill people, dance around in their skins and eat them - just like Gein and Dahmer did.

**My novel Rexroi is on-line. Just use the link to the right**

No comments: