Sunday, August 21, 2005

The President of TV World

Geena Davis is going to star on a TV show as a woman Vice-President who becomes president and I'm very disturbed because - and forgive me if I'm wrong - isn't Martin Sheen already the president on TV? His show The West Wing hasn't been canceled so I can only assume that something must happen to President Sheen since TV can not have two presidents. TV shows, I've always believed, must exist in the same world, so that Jed Clampett could at some point, run into Darrin Stevens, or Al Bundy or Homer Simpson or even President Martin Sheen. As a matter of fact, I know this to be true since I see characters show up from different TV shows all the time, you know, like Granny from the Beverly Hill Billies fell in love with Mort Drucker on Green Acres. Different shows. Same World. What's going to happen when, come this Fall, TV World has two presidents? Does this mean that TV United States is having a civil war?

It does seem kind of quaint and old fashioned that a network would think that just the concept of having a woman as a president is enough to launch a whole series. Aren't we a little beyond that already? I mean, we are almost certainly going to have Hilary Clinton as a presidential candidate in the next election. I don't hear any other name mentioned for the Democrats, so what's the big deal? Women have led big, important countries - I don't know, like Catherine the Great in Russia, Margaret Thatcher in England, Indira Ghandi in India - there've been a few. So, it's not at all out of the realm of possibility.

The only problem I would have with a woman president is that I think the constitution still says that the president has to be a man. I hate to point out this fly in the ointment, but did we have a constiutional amendment that I never heard of? Was there a supreme court decision somewhere where they said that anywhere where something says man, it also means woman? (You know, maybe there was. Would somebody let me know, if that's the case?)

I'm usually a Democrat most of the time. And if Hilary is the Democratic candidate I'll vote for her, though, I've got to say that there's just something about her that annoys me. Maybe it's the condescending Ivy league smugness. I can't say. Nonetheless, she has my vote. The biggest problem with Hilary is that she isn't a Southern governor. That's the only real hope that the democrats have of getting a candidate into office, because senators make horrible, horrible candidates. See, they have voting records which can be exploited because the way the senate works there are compromises and each bill they vote for has tons of extraneous crap added as the price of getting this or that senator's vote.

The promos I've seen for the Geen Davis president show have Donald Sutherland as the Speaker of the House berating new president for taking the job when she knows she isn't qualified - because she doesn't have the internal qualities. Geena Davis and Donald Sutherland are both fine actors, but this particular promo makes me wince. I hate seeing these wonderful actors reduced to what looks like mediocre tripe. If they need the money, I'll forgive them for it.

Otherwise, shame on them.

What this means for the Apocalypse: The roles of women in the Bible has almost always been portrayed as subordinate to that of men. If I remember correctly, the only woman specifically mentioned in Revelations is the whore of Babylon. Maybe the rest of the women in Revelations are at home cooking for their men.

No comments: