Saturday, August 20, 2005

Second Son of a Second Son

Yeah, I know it's supposed to be seventh son of a seventh son, but that doesn't fit in at all with what I want to say, which is: We second born sons sure have had it rough. I was watching a show about the English royal princes, William and Harry, and it occurred to me that the second born prince, Harry, really has nowhere to go in his chosen career path - monarch of England.

The only way this poor guy's ever going to get ahead is if something happens to his dear older brother William. He loves his brother, I'm sure, but if I were William I know I'd be a might bit nervous every time I accepted a glass of wine from Harry and he stared at me while I took a sip.
You know, If I were William, I'd sent Harry off to the army or something. (Hey, wait. That's what did happen). I'm not saying that Harry has designs on the throne or anything, but I've seen a lot of William's Polo 'accidents' where Harry was watching in the audience and smiling. Hmmm.

Traditionally the great tyrant's of the world have been the first born sons, Stalin, Hitler, Genghis Khan .. and so on, while all the great revolutionaries have been second born, like Castro and Che Guevera. This shouldn't be much of a surprise since the lot of the second born has been considerably less glorious than that of the first. The first born son gets to inherit the kingdom while the second born, what does he get? Well, usually it was one of these choices: the preisthood (Yay! Lifelong celibacy!), the army (bloody violent death! Hurrah!) or they could make their way in foreign lands (I don't have a parenthetical comment for this). Given this, it's no wonder that the second born views the world and the social order that he was born into as unfair and needing viloent change.

Okay. Here's the obvious question. I have an older brother, so, do I consider him one of the great tyrant's of the world? No, no. He's a mild and pleasant man and doesn't have it in him at all to be a cruel, vicious dictator.

I think.

What this has to do with the Apocalypse: Jesus had a younger brother, James, and do you think that he might have been a little bit resentful of his older sibling who got to be the Messiah while, what did he get? When Jesus returns to Earth do you think his little brother James is going to be somewhere in the background carrying Jesus's luggage?

No comments: