Monday, March 13, 2006

Fun Things to do on a Snow Day

I changed my mind and posted all of my next book Rexroi on line. It's on the link that says 'chapters' of an upcoming book, but it really is the whole thing.

That was the Second fun thing I did on this snow day, posting the entire book on-line. I was up in the air about that - whether to do the whole thing - basically that's giving away the e-book rights. But then I happened to come across the website for the science fiction publisher Baen books and they are giving away all (or lots, I forget) of books away on line. The reasoning goes something like this: There basically is no way to safeguard e-books and they're going to be downloaded for free anyways, so ... they might as well get it from you.

Free samples are always a good way of garnering interest, too. My unofficial impression is that people will pay for e-books that provide them with information, you know, how to do things, but they will not pay for e-books that just provide them with entertainment - fiction, in other words.
I may be wrong.

Rexroi is a book I have a lot of affection for and you'll have fun with it.

And if you are or know a publisher interested, by all means contact me. The information's on my profile.

Yes, I know that's a long shot and I will be doing the more traditional shopping it around and stuff. I don't know when, though. I'm pretty busy doing other things at the moment.

Okay. So that was the second fun thing I did today. The first fun thing wasn't actually fun. My Direct TV had gone out, most likely from the bad weather. So, I unplugged it and waited and it didn't come back so I called the support line.

I've had more than one unhappy experience dealing with them. The unhappiest was when I was transferred THIRTEEN time over AN HOUR AND A HALF. You see, they have call centers all across the country so each and every person working there has no reason to want to keep you on the line ... they do have a good reason to tranfer you, though, because then you're somebody else's problem.

Oh, and Roger Wood Electronics in Eau Claire is the most F**ed up place to get actual service from. Just imagine an electronics store in Hooterville and you got the entire picture. If you live in Eau Claire, please don't shop there. They blow.

So, when I do have a problem now, I ask for the person's number and I also have a stamped envelope in front of me so that if the service isn't satisfactory I can immediately write a letter of complaint. (Really). Know what? When you have their number right from the start it works out.

Tim (4102) didn't actually solve the problem, but he suggested that because of the combination of rain, snow and ice from the night before something might be blocking the satellite dish. That gave me the idea to get out my Swiffer sweeper and clean off the snow and ice from the dish on my roof.

And that did it!

Thanks, Tim. Good job.

Then the third thing I did, since I had cleaning supplies out was I cleaned. It's not fun, but if you're stuck at home it might as well be a clean home. Although, probably the same effect could have been achieved by just removing my eyeglasses so that I didn't see all the dust and grime.

Live and learn.

Well, needless to say, with the TV working that was the fourth fun thing I did. I hope if you find yourself in the same snowy day prediciment these will all be helpful suggestions.

No comments: