Saturday, March 25, 2006

What else a Half a Trillion Dollars will Buy You

Now, Let's face facts: The war in Iraq is all about oil - or energy which as far as the Bush Administration is concerned is still about oil. Oh sure, as with lots of wonderful things the Bush administration will give lip-service to alternative energy (Switch grass, anyone?) but in reality little or no money will actually be allocated to it. Just remember with W that Black is always White. No Child left Behind actually means every child Left behind. And so on... You can find your own examples without my help.

**Before I forget: I put Rexroi on-line. The Link is on my sidebar to the right. After reading my insightful essay here, go check it out**

So, here's another thing I figured out that could have been bought with that half a trillion that was spent on Iraq: Energy independence. If every penny of that half a trillion were spent on Solar cells or Windmills or fuel efficient vehicle technology or biofuels or this or that ... again, endless examples, but seriously, we'd be quite a ways away from worrying about the Middle East. We could just treat them all like we treat Central Africa (where there is bloodshed but unfortunately for them, no fossil fuels). With our wind mills and solar cells in place we could sympathize with their plight and leave it at that. Just like in Africa.

Of course, that would only work until they all build their nuclear bombs. Then we'd have to start paying attention again, but mutual assured destruction still works and with places like Iran we are more assured to destroy them with our many, many nukes than the reverse.

Before I went on my blog I tried to price out windmills so I could plug that figure into the half a trillion and tell you how many windmills we could get. Curiously enough, windmill merchants are pretty cagey about actually revealing their prices. Hmmm. I wonder why that is.

Alright, I know why that is. It's because if you saw the real price right off the bat you'd get sticker shock and click on to the next site. They probably are expensive, I believe. However, because of economy of scale if a whole lot of windmills or solar cells were being produced the price would come down just because it would be so much cheaper to produce them en masse.

Well, I'm still going to get one. But I will wait until the prices come down.

No comments: